Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Roasted Corn and Poblano Soup with Grilled Shrimp



Since Brett is STILL out of town, I got a little creative in the kitchen last night, mixing new flavor combinations. I was brainstorming at work thinking about the items in my refrigerator and the veggies from last week that were on their last leg. Corn was specifically on my list, and I had a poblano that I frequently have in house, but am not always sure on how to use it- salsa, huervos rancheros or fajitas are my go-to's.

So I'm not going to lie- I had one hell of a time getting this soup to taste right. Mainly because it was a little outside my comfort zone, even though going through the process I was super confident. I spent forever trying to fix the flavors, but I digress...

I wanted to share this with you to give you some food for thought (literally), on this flavor combination, or to get you thinking about how you would do it differently!

Here is what I did...

Prepare poblano pepper by fire roasting over an open flame until completely charred, place in a glass bowl, cover with plastic and allow to steam for 5 minutes to allow the skin to easily peel off. After 5 minutes, place under running water and begin to peel off skin. Remove top, seeds, and gills and cut into squares.

While poblano is steaming, begin to saute 1/2 a red onion and begin to cut away the corn kernels from the corn cob (2 ears of corn). Add corn, diced poblano, 2 cloves minced garlic, salt & pepper, and allow to saute for 10-15 minutes to allow corn to cook. Add just enough water to cover vegetables, and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.

Add in increments to food processor, blending on high until smooth, replace back into pot. Add more seasonings to your liking. Here is where it got crazy on me... I tried adding cilantro, butter, milk, cumin, red pepper flakes, lime and even sugar (because I tasted a slight bitterness). To no avail, guys!

I topped my soup with simply grilled shrimp, sour cream, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.



Maybe it will be better today, but let me just say I wasn't too impressed, and thankfully Brett wasn't home otherwise I would have had a hungry husband (shout out to my favorite English teacher for that alliteration- Trisha).

Maybe my corn to poblano ratio was off... Even re-reading this recipe, I think it sounds amazing, but it left me hanging for some reason. I'll try again later and let you guys know how it goes.

Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment