Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Roasted Shrimp Cocktail & Roasted Brussels Sprouts


My husband and I stayed local for our Easter celebrations this past weekend. My parents were kind enough to purchase us a Honey Baked Ham, so all I had to do on Sunday was prepare a few side dishes and an app or two.

After an hour and forty-five minute Easter Sunday mass, paired with a mile walk home in 4 inch heels, I was ready to sit on the couch and watch sports all day.  The prep work for these dishes was so simple and I was able to enjoy the company I sooo love to keep!

 When I went shopping for my Easter dinner, I stopped at the local Produce Market and Fish Market and drew inspiration from what was in the stores. Every time I walk into the produce market, I try to find an ingredient that I have never worked with. This winter I began cooking with poblano peppers, butternut squash and kale. For Easter I decided to make a fresh shrimp cocktail and roasted brussels sprouts.


Roasted Shrimp with a Homemade Cocktail Sauce



So here is my take on homemade cocktail sauce... Although it may be easier to purchase cocktail sauce than make it on your own, a homemade sauce brings the dish to a whole new level, especially pairing roasted shrimp with this cocktail sauce!

I had all these ingredients in the house besides the horseradish. Instead of purchasing the cocktail sauce, using only half and then throwing the rest away, I now have stocked my refrigerator with horseradish sauce that I can eventually use in other recipes. And I believe the horseradish sauce was cheaper than the cocktail sauce.

Typically I try to make things homemade so that I can limit the amount of preservatives and "unknown" ingredients, but I don't think that applies here, because the ketchup and the horseradish sauce probably include lots of ingredients I cannot pronounce.

Roasted Shrimp
1/2 lb - 1 lb raw shrimp, shelled and deveined (leave tail on for dipping)
1 tbs Olive oil
Red pepper flakes
Garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste

Place shrimp on baking sheet, add spices and olive oil and toss shrimp until oil coats the shrimp. Roast at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until pink.  Allow shrimp to fully cool in refrigerator before serving ~30 minutes.

Cocktail Sauce
1/4 cup Ketchup
2 tbs Horseradish sauce (more or less depending upon your taste)
1 tsp Worcestershire
1 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper

Mix ingredients together and adjust ingredients based on your tastes.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano







Brussels sprouts
Garlic powder
Oregano   
Red chili flakes
Parmigiano-Reggiano- freshly grated
  Olive oil
   Salt & pepper to taste

Toss brussel sprouts in olive oil and add spices, mix well and place on baking sheet. Roast at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until brussel sprouts are brown. Shake the sheet a few times during roasting to ensure even roasting. Add parmesan after taking the baking sheet out of the oven. Serve immediately.





Hope you are having a good week! What are some of the dishes you had for Easter? Please share!!

Thankss!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment